Sunday, March 27, 2016

Star of the Sea

Easter Sunday was a quiet day. We had intended to walk into town for the parade marking the Rising but Brad was sick with a fever, and we just stayed in the barracks. It was a chance to catch up on photos and blogging and email and for Brad to recover. In the evening, I went to Easter Mass at St Mary’s Star of the Sea church in Sandymount, retracing our steps from the day before. 

 

It was a special 6 pm Mass for parishioners who had attended the parade during the day. As I mentioned, my parents were living in Sandymount when I was born, so this was the church where I was baptized.  My cousin John suggested I shout out when I arrived, "I'm back!" (I did not do that.)

I think I also tracked down the house where we lived then, 2 Sandymount Road (did I mention it was windy and cold?). 

On the walk home I encountered threatening thunderheads over the Liffey,  a patriotic household, and a nice statue of Mary in a hallway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment